The purpose of this letter is to document Champlain Water District’s elected Board of Water Commissioners’ support of the Greater Burlington Industrial Corp.’s action in developing “IBM Vermont: The Vermont Plan.”
As you are aware, IBM is a significant water customer for CWD, averaging 3.24 million gallons per day for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014. At this time IBM’s daily usage is 34.35 percent of CWD’s total daily facility production. As a high volume user for CWD, IBM has been the key factor is maintaining CWD’s uniform wholesale water rate as one of the lowest in New England.
Continued high-volume industrial water usage will help ensure that CWD’s uniform wholesale water rate remains near current levels for CWD’s 70,000 Chittenden County customers. As a wholesaler to 12 municipal water systems in Chittenden County, CWD’s uniform wholesale rate costs the average family $136 per year. Given that each community also has its own individual retail mark-up from the CWD uniform rate, CWD’s uniform rate represents an average of 47 percent of the annual dollar amount charged to county customers across all 12 served water systems.
Since the vast majority of IBM’s water usage relates directly to its wet process manufacturing, it is critical that this IBM site continues utilization of wet processes in order to maintain the extremely economical water rates to CWD customers going forward into the future. IBM’s benefit to the Champlain Water District is only a small impact for the state of Vermont overall, therefore CWD certainly supports GBIC’s “IBM Vermont: The Vermont Plan” for IBM to continue to be the economic engine for our entire state.
Champlain Water District)
South BurlingtonMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.