The recent letter written by Connor Rose regarding the renewed fighting in Gaza is replete with misinformation. The three Israeli students kidnapped and killed in the West Bank were killed by Palestinians who sympathize with Hamas.
Hamas praised their actions and urged more of the same. The alleged killers of the young Palestinian boy in East Jerusalem (whose killing is as tragic as the deaths of the three boys) have been arrested and three have confessed. The Israeli prime minister has publicly condemned the killing and pledged that the killers will be punished to the full extent of the law.
Israel has been the subject to missile attacks by Hamas for several months. These attacks have intensified in recent weeks (over 800 missiles have been launched). Missiles are being indiscriminately fired at major population centers in Israel such as Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and Ben Gurion airport. These missiles are not “glorified bottle rockets”. They are more akin to large artillery shells: many of which have been supplied to Hamas by Iran.
The only reason that there has not been more damage or loss of life in Israel is due to Israel’s anti-missile system, the Iron Dome. Security is paramount to Israel’s existence. What other country in the world would not respond to such missile attacks? Certainly not the United States.
Israel has tried to only strike Hamas military targets in Gaza. However, Hamas builds, stores, and launches its missiles from populated areas, i.e.: near or in schools, homes, hospitals and even mosques. This makes for much collateral damage and the unfortunate loss of life. Hamas also uses human shields, so much for its claims of protecting Palestinians.
Hamas has stated as its fundamental objective the total annihilation of the State of Israel. It is impossible to make peace with such an organization without a fundamental change in its position.
ALAN M. RASHES
BomoseenMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.