17 dairy farmers getting $384K in grantsThe Associated Press | July 17,2014ST. ALBANS - Seventeen Vermont dairy farmers are sharing in a grant of over $384,000 for projects to improve herd management, cow health and working conditions.
The grants fare from the Vermont Farm and Forest Viability Program.
Gov. Peter Shumlin says the grants are aimed at improving milk production and the financial viability of the farms.
Funding comes from Ehrmann Commonwealth Dairy LLC, with some matching funds form the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board and a private foundation.
The projects included repairing barn floors, upgrading existing milking parlors, adding robotic milking parlors, replacing bulk cooling tanks, and other repairs.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.