Unemployment rises for 1st time in 10 monthsthe associated press | July 19,2014MONTPELIER — The Vermont Department of Labor says the state’s unemployment rate inched up two-tenths of a percent to 3.5 percent last month.
It was the first increase in the state’s jobless rate in 10 months.
The national rate came in at 6.1 percent, which is a decrease of two-tenths of a percent from May.
Labor Commissioner Annie Noonan said the new unemployment report reflected a “temporary period of adjustment” that should last for the next month or two before joblessness returns to a downward trend.
Around the state, the unemployment rate ranged from a low of 2.7 percent in Hartford to a high of 5.4 percent in Newport.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Lawmakers complained to the state’s top health care reform official Thursday they... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Dutch father of microbiology Antonie van Leeuwenhoek discovers the existence of one-celled organisms; in 1967, The Doors are booked to play the Ed Sullivan show; in 1858, freedom fighter Dred Scott dies on this day in St. Louis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.