Shumlin to face Cuomo in raft raceJuly 20,2014The Associated Press
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has invited Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin to the Adirondacks to compete in a rafting race meant to highlight the area’s recreational opportunities.
Sunday’s event is Cuomo’s second “Adirondack Challenge” near Indian Lake. Last year’s competition saw Cuomo’s team beat a raft captained by former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The competition may be tougher this year. Shumlin, a Democrat, enjoys running, hiking, skiing, fishing and hunting, according to his state website.
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan and several other local and state officials are participating as well. The event will also feature opportunities for fishing, paddle boarding, canoeing and a motorcycle ride.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.