Shumlin to face Cuomo in raft raceJuly 20,2014The Associated Press
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has invited Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin to the Adirondacks to compete in a rafting race meant to highlight the area’s recreational opportunities.
Sunday’s event is Cuomo’s second “Adirondack Challenge” near Indian Lake. Last year’s competition saw Cuomo’s team beat a raft captained by former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The competition may be tougher this year. Shumlin, a Democrat, enjoys running, hiking, skiing, fishing and hunting, according to his state website.
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan and several other local and state officials are participating as well. The event will also feature opportunities for fishing, paddle boarding, canoeing and a motorcycle ride.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.