Man jailed, faces assault chargeJuly 23,2014Man jailed, faces
A Castleton man charged with beating a woman at his Route 30 home was jailed Monday on $10,000 bail.
Roger G. Kittredge, 46, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of aggravated domestic assault in the second degree. The aggravated charge stemmed in part from a prior domestic assault conviction against Kittredge, who remained in jail Tuesday evening.
He was arrested Friday night after Castleton police and Vermont State Police were called to 2317 Route 30 North for a complaint that a fight was in progress and a woman crying, according to court records.
At the scene, Kittredge allegedly denied that anyone was in the apartment with him and he told police they would need a warrant to enter his residence. But after seeing blood and scratches on his arms and clothing, police told the Kittredge they were entering the home under “exigent circumstances” to check on the welfare of anyone else inside.
In a back bedroom occupied by a pitbull, police say they found a woman with a severe eye laceration and bruises hiding in a corner.
The woman told police that she was punched by an unknown woman who came to the door and was saved by Kittredge who came to her aid. But police said they did not believe that story or a different version of events offered by Kittredge, who allegedly said he came home to find the woman injured.
If convicted, Kittredge faces up to five years in jail.MORE IN This Just InA Vermont State police dive team, supported by ground search teams and a US Border Protection... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1843, British Naval officer GEORGE LORD PAULET obtains provisional cession of Hawaiian Islands; 1866, miners claim Calaveras skull found found in goldmine is remains of 5 million-year-old Pliocene man.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown