Man jailed, faces assault chargeJuly 23,2014Man jailed, faces
A Castleton man charged with beating a woman at his Route 30 home was jailed Monday on $10,000 bail.
Roger G. Kittredge, 46, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of aggravated domestic assault in the second degree. The aggravated charge stemmed in part from a prior domestic assault conviction against Kittredge, who remained in jail Tuesday evening.
He was arrested Friday night after Castleton police and Vermont State Police were called to 2317 Route 30 North for a complaint that a fight was in progress and a woman crying, according to court records.
At the scene, Kittredge allegedly denied that anyone was in the apartment with him and he told police they would need a warrant to enter his residence. But after seeing blood and scratches on his arms and clothing, police told the Kittredge they were entering the home under “exigent circumstances” to check on the welfare of anyone else inside.
In a back bedroom occupied by a pitbull, police say they found a woman with a severe eye laceration and bruises hiding in a corner.
The woman told police that she was punched by an unknown woman who came to the door and was saved by Kittredge who came to her aid. But police said they did not believe that story or a different version of events offered by Kittredge, who allegedly said he came home to find the woman injured.
If convicted, Kittredge faces up to five years in jail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.