Man jailed, faces assault chargeJuly 23,2014Man jailed, faces
A Castleton man charged with beating a woman at his Route 30 home was jailed Monday on $10,000 bail.
Roger G. Kittredge, 46, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of aggravated domestic assault in the second degree. The aggravated charge stemmed in part from a prior domestic assault conviction against Kittredge, who remained in jail Tuesday evening.
He was arrested Friday night after Castleton police and Vermont State Police were called to 2317 Route 30 North for a complaint that a fight was in progress and a woman crying, according to court records.
At the scene, Kittredge allegedly denied that anyone was in the apartment with him and he told police they would need a warrant to enter his residence. But after seeing blood and scratches on his arms and clothing, police told the Kittredge they were entering the home under “exigent circumstances” to check on the welfare of anyone else inside.
In a back bedroom occupied by a pitbull, police say they found a woman with a severe eye laceration and bruises hiding in a corner.
The woman told police that she was punched by an unknown woman who came to the door and was saved by Kittredge who came to her aid. But police said they did not believe that story or a different version of events offered by Kittredge, who allegedly said he came home to find the woman injured.
If convicted, Kittredge faces up to five years in jail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.