Man charged with smuggling marijuana into jailJuly 27,2014Jailed man faces
A Fair Haven man jailed on a charge of felony domestic assault had another criminal charge added when he was allegedly caught smuggling marijuana into the Rutland jail, where he’s being held on $75,000 bail.
Henry Lewis, 44, was arrested last weekend after Fair Haven police say he assaulted a woman inside the Liberty Street Discount Beverage Store. Lewis pleaded innocent this week in Rutland criminal court to a charge of aggravated domestic assault in the first degree and misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct, providing false information and resisting arrest.
But before he was arraigned on those charges, Vermont State Police issued him a citation for two additional offenses — transporting regulated drugs into a jail and providing false information to a police officer.
Those charges stemmed, police say, from the discovery of roughly 0.3 ounces of marijuana hidden in Lewis’ body cavity when he was taken to the jail.
Lewis also allegedly gave police the false name of Cyrus Morris and the false age of 42.
He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland criminal court Sept. 15 to answer to the new offenses.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.