Man charged with smuggling marijuana into jailJuly 27,2014Jailed man faces
A Fair Haven man jailed on a charge of felony domestic assault had another criminal charge added when he was allegedly caught smuggling marijuana into the Rutland jail, where he’s being held on $75,000 bail.
Henry Lewis, 44, was arrested last weekend after Fair Haven police say he assaulted a woman inside the Liberty Street Discount Beverage Store. Lewis pleaded innocent this week in Rutland criminal court to a charge of aggravated domestic assault in the first degree and misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct, providing false information and resisting arrest.
But before he was arraigned on those charges, Vermont State Police issued him a citation for two additional offenses — transporting regulated drugs into a jail and providing false information to a police officer.
Those charges stemmed, police say, from the discovery of roughly 0.3 ounces of marijuana hidden in Lewis’ body cavity when he was taken to the jail.
Lewis also allegedly gave police the false name of Cyrus Morris and the false age of 42.
He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland criminal court Sept. 15 to answer to the new offenses.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.