Man reports wet basement, attempted pipe theftAugust 05,2014Man says pipe
STAMFORD — An apparent attempt to steal copper pipes last week left a homeowner with water in the basement, reported Trooper Elliott Justinger.
In a news release, Justinger said Richard LeScarbeau, 64, of Williamstown, Mass., recently reported what appeared to be an attempted burglary at his Stamford home on Clough Road.
LeScarbeau said he believed sometime between July 28 and Aug. 3, someone had entered the home through an unlocked window and attempted to steal the copper pipes. However, the first pipe that was cut was the main water line which caused water to begin flowing into the basement.
LeScarbeau said no other pipes were cut and nothing was stolen.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Vermont State Police at the Shaftsbury barracks at 442-5421. Information can also be submitted anonymously online at www.vtips.info or by sending a text to 274637, or “CRIMES,” and using the keyword, “VTIPS.”
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.