Sanders to speak today at White River VAAugust 06,2014Sanders to speak at White River VA
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION ó Vermont independent U.S. Sen. Bernard Sanders will address recently adopted legislation to reform the VA at a press conference today at the Department of Veterans Affairs medical center in Vermont.
Sanders, chairman of the Senate Veteransí Affairs Committee, drafted the bill alongside Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., the House Veteransí Affairs Committee chairman.
Sanders is scheduled to explain the legislation to reporters at 1:30 p.m. at the medical centerís Yasinski Research and Education Building (Building 44).
He is set to attend a ceremony Thursday at Fort Belvoir, Va., where President Barack Obama will sign the bill.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.