Man accused of stealing, selling vanAugust 06,2014Man denies he
stole, sold van
BENNINGTON — A Winhall man is being held on $2,500 bail after police said he stole a van and sold it in April 2013.
Robert Mackey, 29, of Winhall, pleaded innocent Tuesday in Bennington criminal court to felony charges of grand larceny and aggravated operation of a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent.
In an affidavit, Officer Doug Wright of the Winhall Police Department said the manager of the Fat Spy Tavern in Winhall reported April 10, 2013, that a van that belonged to the restaurant was missing. The manager said Mackey, a former employee of the restaurant, had been overheard saying he could sell the van easily either as a van or as scrap.
Through Mackey’s mother, police tracked the van to an automobile dealership in Hebron, N.Y., where an employee told police that Mackey had sold the van to the dealership for $400 on April 8, 2013.
Wright said that when he wrote the affidavit, on April 21, 2013. Mackey’s whereabouts were unknown. An arrest warrant was issued May 7, 2013, and served Tuesday.
The Fat Spy restaurant, along with the Stone Lodge, were destroyed in a fire in July.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.