Picnic planned for city neighborhoodAugust 07,2014Picnic planned for
Residents of Franklin, Brown, Cherry, Howe and Granger streets in Rutland are invited to a neighborhood picnic from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. Aug. 17 on Cherry Street.
Residents are asked to bring pre-cooked family meals, nonalcoholic drinks and lawn chairs or a quilt.
Children are welcome, but not pets or music players, and shirts and shoes are required.
The event is billed as a casual neighborhood gathering to renew old friendships, meet new neighbors and catch up with news from around the community.
Music is planned from 3 to 4 p.m., and organizers suggest the likelihood of “an impromptu sing-along.” Face painting will also be offered and city officials are expected to attend.
The event is organized with help from Rutland United Neighborhoods.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.