Shooting victim a no-show in courtAugust 15,2014Shooting victim
a no-show in court
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION ó Authorities say a 19-year-old man shot in a dispute about a possible heroin theft did not show up in court on a charge of possessing the drug and cocaine.
Joseph Atkinson was shot in the torso June 11 in Springfield allegedly over stolen drugs.
Vermont State Police issued Atkinson a citation to appear in court Tuesday, but he wasnít there.
The Valley News reported that a judge approved Deputy Windsor County Stateís Attorney David Cahillís request to issue a warrant for Atkinsonís arrest and set bail at $10,000.
Cahill said Atkinsonís mother indicated in June that her son is still recovering from the gunshot wound in New Jersey and didnít understand why he needed to appear.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.