Shooting victim a no-show in courtAugust 15,2014Shooting victim
a no-show in court
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION ó Authorities say a 19-year-old man shot in a dispute about a possible heroin theft did not show up in court on a charge of possessing the drug and cocaine.
Joseph Atkinson was shot in the torso June 11 in Springfield allegedly over stolen drugs.
Vermont State Police issued Atkinson a citation to appear in court Tuesday, but he wasnít there.
The Valley News reported that a judge approved Deputy Windsor County Stateís Attorney David Cahillís request to issue a warrant for Atkinsonís arrest and set bail at $10,000.
Cahill said Atkinsonís mother indicated in June that her son is still recovering from the gunshot wound in New Jersey and didnít understand why he needed to appear.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.