Retreat faces possible loss in fundingAugust 15,2014Retreat faces possible
loss in funding
BRATTLEBORO ó The Brattleboro Retreat is facing another potential loss in federal funding because of a failed inspection.
Vermont Public Radio reported that the warning came after a suicide attempt in June. Officials visited and found problems with patient safety issues, jeopardizing the Retreatís standing with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
The centers sent the Retreat a letter July 8 saying its federal funding would be revoked if it didnít resolve the issues by Oct. 6.
Earlier findings had to do with a key breaking off in the lock to a patient room and a broken light fixture in an elevator.
Retreat officials say the centers have accepted their plan, and that it will keep its funding as long as it passes an unannounced inspection before the deadline.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.