Bears, Santonio Holmes agree to dealBy ANDREW SELIGMAN
The Associated Press | August 17,2014CHICAGO — Former Super Bowl MVP wide receiver Santonio Holmes signed a one-year contract with the Chicago Bears on Saturday.
The team also announced receiver and kick returner Eric Weems was released.
The Bears are looking for a third receiver behind stars Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. Marquess Wilson was battling for that job when he broke his collarbone last week.
A first-round draft pick by Pittsburgh in 2006, Holmes was the Super Bowl MVP in his third year.
He had his best season statistically the following year in 2009 with 79 catches for 1,248 yards and five touchdowns.
But he was traded to the New York Jets the following offseason after the Steelers tired of his legal troubles.
The Jets released the 30-year-old Holmes in March after he had 23 catches — the second-lowest total of his career — for 456 yards in 11 games. He missed five games midway through the season with a hamstring injury. Holmes was limited to just four games in 2012 and was sidelined for several months after suffering a career-threatening foot injury.
Holmes was a controversial figure at times in New York, clashing with quarterback Mark Sanchez and the offensive linemen during the 2011 season.
Weems played the past two seasons in Chicago after spending his first five with Atlanta. He has 3,184 kickoff return yards and a touchdown and 815 punt return yards with a score to go with 26 receptions for 240 yards.MORE IN Wire SportsDENVER — Next up for Peyton Manning: the NFL passing yardage record. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.