SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — V.E. Day caught Wicked Strong late to take the 145th running of the Travers Stakes by a nose Saturday over an impressive field that included Belmont champion Tonalist and favorite Bayern.
Ridden by Javier Castellano, V.E. Day beat out the co-second choices after going off at nearly 20-1 and returning $41.00, $13.20, and $7.30 in the $1.25 million Grade 1 stakes race.
Trainer Jimmy Jerkens swept the top two spots in the 1-1/4-mile Grade 1 stakes for three-year-olds, with the more well-regarded Wicked Strong coming second and retuning $4.40 and $3.10.
“I wasn’t absolutely sure it was V. E. Day because he had so much mud on him, until they got a little closer and I saw the silks and then I knew it was him,” Jerkens said. “I said, ‘Man, what a feeling. I know I’m going to win the Travers. I just don’t know with who.’”
Bayern, trained by Bob Baffert, had nothing to give after winning the Haskell Invitational in his most recent start and ran out of steam approaching the quarter pole. Mr. Speaker, who won the Grade 1 Belmont Derby on the grass in July finished fifth. Tonalist paid $3.40 to show.
“I’m happy for Jimmy,” Castellano said. “He’s a great horseman. He does such a good job.”MORE IN Wire SportsEAST LANSING, Mich. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.