If there is one issue that unites Vermontís Democrats and Republicans, it is the need to make affordable health care available to everyone. Governor Shumlin has a plan that attempts to provide medical insurance to all (Shumlincare), but the vast cost of the plan puts Republicans and a few Democrats in the position of opposing the plan.
Shumlincare will costs upwards of $3 billion; divided by Vermontís 625,000 residents thatís $4,800 each. So for a family of four, thatís $19,000. One proposal that surfaced this year was a payroll tax of 14 percent; 2 percent for the employees, and 12 percent on the employers. For someone earning $45,000 a year, thatís an annual insurance fee of $900 for the employee and $5,400 for the employer. Whoíd turn that down? Unfortunately, thatís a drop in the bucket towards raising $3 billion. Remember, itís $4,800 per year per person.
So when doing the math, do all the math. Shumlin did, and heís afraid to tell us his numbers. When he finally reveals, maybe the realization will set in that his tax plan is unthinkable. Then maybe Montpelier can get down to business reducing the costs of medical care. There are plenty of ways to do it; we just have to change the political focus.
Finally, when a politician says they fully support Shumlincare, ask them if they ran the numbers before pledging their support ó if they did, ask for the figures. If they didnít, and theyíre just waiting to get Shumlinís figures, Iíd question the value of their representation in Montpelier.
St. Albans TownMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.