I just finished reading statements made by a Mr. Kenneth Langone, the billionaire owner of Home Depot. His statements were critical of Pope Francis`s many appeals to the rich elite of this world to help the poor with their God-given gift of wealth. He even threatened that if the pope continues his rhetoric, the rich would no longer give to charities that help the poor. I feel sorry for Mr Langone and hope that everyone who reads this letter will pray for him. I feel this way because of two verses in Luke, Chapter 6: “Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours.” And the second verse: “But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.” I hope that someday Mr. Langone will realize that you can’t take your billions with you when your time on this earth ends, for his sake.
BomoseenMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Julius Caesar dedicates a temple to his mythical ancestor, Venus Genetrix; on this day in 1933, FBI agents in Memphis, Tennessee, arrest Machine Gun Kelly; Yves Rossi flies the English Channel with home-made jet-pack.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1852, Henri Giffard demonstrates the first steam-powered airship, sailing 17 miles from Paris to Trappes; on this day in 1877, Japanese imperial troops crush the Satsuma Rebellion, Saigo Takamori dies in Kagoshima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: U.S. Rep. Peter Welch meets with Killington business owners, governor candidates debate, Gov. Shumlin discusses progress in anti-opiate campaign, Spanos trial venue moves to White River Junction.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1776, as Nathan Hale is hanged by British military authorities for spying, he utters his famous last words — or does he? In 1975, Sara Jane Moore attempts to kill President Gerald R. Ford in San Francisco.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Patrick McArdle reports and the theft of an $89,000 shotgun, police release a video of the Monday Castleton robbery, O'Gorman reports a lawsuit by a local man claiming his vehicle unlawfully seized, police leave him in cold.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.