HIGHGATE, Vt. (AP) — An 89-year-old woman has died in a house fire in the town of Highgate, police said.
Firefighters were called to the site on St. Armand Road around 9 p.m. Sunday after receiving a report that a person was trapped in the burning home.
After firefighters arrived they located Sylvia Ploof inside the building. She was taken to an area hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Ploof’s son, Keith Ploof, 64, was treated for smoke inhalation injuries.
Investigators determined the cause of the fire was an overloaded power strip that failed and ignited near combustible materials.
There were no working smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire, police said.